Dunc led the field with six Oscars, all in the crafts categories: effects, cinematography, production design, stuff like that, which was expected. It’s a beautifully-made movie, but falls short in engaging the viewer or telling the story well. Plus, it’s half of a movie. CODA got three awards (including best picture), while “The Power of the Dog” managed to turn only one of its twelve nominations into a statue. In other news, Chris Rock got his cocksucker smacked by the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
Actor in a Leading Role
- Javier Bardem - Being the Ricardos
- Benedict Cumberbatch - The Power of the Dog
- Andrew Garfield - tick, tick…BOOM!
- Will Smith - King Richard
- Denzel Washington - The Tragedy of Macbeth
My favourite: Javier Bardem / Bentley Cumbersome
The winner: Will Smith. While not on my favourites list, his performance in King Richard was very smashing, just like the punch on Chris Rock.
Actor in a Supporting Role
- Ciarán Hinds - Belfast
- Troy Kotsur - CODA
- Jesse Plemons - The Power of the Dog
- J.K. Simmons - Being the Ricardos
- Kodi Smit-McPhee - The Power of the Dog
My favourite: Troy Kotsur / JK Simmons
The winner: Troy Kotsur for his performance in CODA got a well deserved statue. Excellent acting and it was brilliant how it made you root for the good of his family.
Actress in a Leading Role
- Jessica Chastain - The Eyes of Tammy Faye
- Olivia Colman - The Lost Daughter
- Penélope Cruz - Parallel Mothers
- Nicole Kidman - Being the Ricardos
- Kristen Stewart - Spencer
My favourite: Chastain, Kidman and Stewart. It’s a three-way coin toss.
The winner: Jessica Chastain. Totally worth it, her portrait of televangelist Tammy Faye was spot on.
Actress in a Supporting Role
- Jessie Buckley - The Lost Daughter
- Ariana DeBose - West Side Story
- Judi Dench - Belfast
- Kirsten Dunst - The Power of the Dog
- Aunjanue Ellis - King Richard
My favourite: Basically anyone, photo finish.
The winner: Ariana DeBose. Totally expected, her performance in West Side Story was very very good. Fun fact, Rita Moreno got the same Oscar for the same role she played in the 1961 version.
Animated Feature Film
- The Mitchells vs. the Machines
- Raya and the Last Dragon
My favourite: Probably “Flee”, because drama. Otherwise, photo finish.
The winner: Encanto. One of the best animations recently, great music, great performance. Totally deserved.
- Don’t Look Up
- Drive My Car
- King Richard
- Licorice Pizza
- Nightmare Alley
- The Power of the Dog
- West Side Story
My favourite: “Belfast” / “Power of the Dog” The winner: CODA. A bit unexpected, but it’s still a strong movie, I just didn’t think it had the strength to fight along the others.